Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wear your Service Heart on your sleeve: Why service jobs are the best kind of jobs.

Service job. 

Image from "Weheartit" on Tumblr Images
What does that phrase mean to you? To many of us, it's a code word for a stop-gap job, a stepping stone job, or a job that is taken by people with few choices-- a last resort. 

I disagree with that characterization and I'd like to rally the customer service community to start revamping the image and connotation that goes with "service" and "service jobs". 

For almost my entire working life, I've been in service or "support". Even unrelated-seeming jobs such as window dresser and nanny have actually boiled down to "service." When I was younger I couldn't wait to get away from the dreaded customers, and it burned me to know that people I was waiting on were having fun while I was working. 

Now I think about service slightly differently, for a few reasons:

Expanding types of service jobs, such as online goods selling or DIY entrepreneurs have refashioned the market and injected a much needed "cool factor".

Whether it's the barista who knows everything about coffee and has a tattoo of a vintage esspresso maker, or the small batch craft beer guys, the rise in DIY and entrepreneurship has raised the profile of what we would consider "service" jobs. Celebrity nail polish artists, food truck rock stars, SuperNanny? They all work in service jobs!

I realize my years in service gave me valuable skills I could use later. 

I know the customer backwards and forwards, and I've sold all kinds of goods to all kinds of people. I've honed my sales pitches on literally thousands of customers, and I have had the benefit of dealing with hundreds of irate customers. This is equally true for all the teaching and child care jobs I've done: creating games and activities has translated into an effortless creativity and deep well of ideas for classroom training events. 

I found a way to look at the concept of service differently. 

In reading a non fiction book about the personal staff of the very rich (I can't remember the title to save my life!) I came across a term I love: "Service Heart". The person being interviewed explained that some people are just born with a service heart. It's natural for them to intuit what others need and want, and to figure out ways to create moments and events that delight, dazzle, and satisfy. This changed "service" into a kind of calling like the ministry or educating, that allowed me to think of service in a more elevated light, and I encourage you to do so as well. 

I joined a community.

When I started my professional Twitter feed, I was astonished at the amount of like minded people who were almost crazily passionate about customer service, the same as I was. Many had bios that strongly resembled mine! There are also entire businesses who make it their only goal to help other businesses provide better customer service! With a strong, active community around me, I came to see that customer service, and having a service heart was not just a bottom of the barrel designation: 

It's something to wear proudly on your sleeve!




No comments:

Post a Comment